What are rodents?
Rodents are mammals with teeth that never stop growing. Due to this trait, rodents are known for their gnawing, which they must do to keep their teeth from overgrowing. Many rodent species are social, so an infestation of mice or rats usually consists of many individuals and not just one or two of these critters.
Common rodents in Warren include the following:
- Deer mice are 5 to 8 inches long and gray to reddish-brown with white feet. They are known to store food near their nests.
- House mice are 5 to 8 inches long and are light brown to gray. They are the most common home-invading rodents in the United States.
- Norway rats are about 16 inches long and grayish-brown to black. They are a heavy species and are also known as brown rats.
- Roof rats grow from 13 to 15 inches long and are dark grey to black. They are excellent climbers.
- Voles range between 4 to 8-1/2 inches long and are usually brown or gray. They create burrows underground and can cause damage to trees and crops.
Maple Lane Pest Control offers effective home pest control measures to prevent rodents from infesting throughout your Warren home.
Are rodents dangerous?
Rodents are dangerous pests because of the many diseases and parasites they spread. These diseases and parasites include salmonellosis, rabies, rat-bite fever, hantavirus, mites, fleas, and ticks.
While voles are not physically dangerous to people, they can cause contamination that can make people sick. The same can be said for other rodents that get inside a house and can contaminate food and surfaces with their saliva and waste.
On another note, rodents are also destructive, so they can be causing damage to your home and belonging that may become dangerous in severe cases.
Why do I have a rodent problem?
You can have rodents on your property or in your house for multiple reasons, but the most common is access to food. Rodents are scavengers and will eat just about anything, so if your home provides them with the food, they will probably build nests and make themselves comfortable.
Rodents like mice and rats only need small holes to squeeze through about the size of a penny; this means there is a chance there are entry points into your home that you are unaware of.
Where will I find rodents?
Rodents can congregate in a variety of different places. Often, they will make themselves at home in the spaces behind walls, in pantries, and closets. Other common places you may find rodents are basements, garages, crawl spaces, and sheds.
Because roof rats usually enter a home through the roofline, you will likely find this species in the attic. At the same time, voles prefer to stay outside and are usually in gardens and dense foliage.
How do I get rid of rodents?
Handling rodents on your own might seem like a good idea, but it will only end up causing you more stress and wasted money. At Maple Lane Pest Control, we offer pest control solutions in Warren, MI that help get rid of rodents like the ones listed above.
With our services and pest-free guarantee in Macomb County, you can rest assured that your home will be rodent-free. Give us a call at Maple Lane Pest Control to learn more about our residential and commercial rodent control services and how you can get started with an inspection and customizable rodent control treatments that work.
How can I prevent rodents in the future?
If you want to keep rodents out of your home in the future, you can use the following tips to help do so:
- Keep food appropriately stored by using airtight containers.
- Store produce in the refrigerator.
- Sweep and vacuum regularly.
- Remove bird and animal feeders from your yard.
- Keep foliage in your yard from overgrowing and trim any branches that are touching your house.
- Organize and declutter your home.
- Seal entry points by filling in cracks in your foundation and using chimney caps and vent covers where necessary.
- Address any moisture issues on your property.
- Use garbage cans with tight-fitting lids.