Why Carpenter Ants Are Bad For Warren Homes
May 15, 2022 - Carpenter Ants
We have many pest ants in our Warren service area, but none are quite like the carpenter ant. Ants that are considered carpenter ants have a very bad habit of tunneling through wood in man-made structures. But how concerned should you be?
Should you get professional carpenter ant control in Warren at the first sign of these ants on your property? This is what we're going to discuss today. Let's take a look at carpenter ant damage, carpenter ant control in Warren, and what professionals do that you may not be able to do.
Carpenter Ants Damage Wood
It is likely that you know about carpenter ants. These ants are notorious. But how bad are they really? This is an important question that every Warren property owner should know the answer to. If you have carpenter ants in your house, they may not damage the wood at all.
Carpenter ants don't eat wood; they eat food. They can get food outside or inside your home, so they may not immediately damage the wood in your home. This is particularly true of carpenter ant species that have a preference for creating nests inside voids, rather than creating galleries in wood. The worst carpenter ants are entirely black. If you find black carpenter ants in your home, there is cause for concern. These are the most destructive of all carpenter ants in the United States.
Carpenter Ant Damage Can Be Expensive
If the conditions are ideal and carpenter ants are not detected, these insects can do quite a bit of damage, over time. The damage they do can weaken structural timbers and cause studs to warp and create damage that is costly to completely repair. It is best to get rid of carpenter ants when you detect activity. How do you detect activity?
- Look for carpenter ant frass in your home. This material looks like pepper and is the color of the wood the carpenter ants are excavating.
- Keep an eye out for flying carpenter ants and look for shed "flying ant" wings on your property.
- Look for changes to the wood of your home. Carpenter ants may create holes where you can see them, such as on window and door frames.
The biggest reason some carpenter ant infestations end up being expensive to repair is that these ants aren't detected early. We can't stress enough the importance of remembering to do routine inspections.
Keep in mind that you can also hire a licensed pest professional to perform routine inspections for you. There is an added benefit to professional inspections in that your technician won't just look for obvious warning signs, like carpenter ant frass in your home. A professional has tools and training to find carpenter ants in your house when there are no warning signs visible.
Carpenter Ants Are Hard To Get Rid Of On Your Own
We don't recommend attempting to get rid of carpenter ants on your own. There are primarily two reasons for why we make this recommendation.
- There are many products and methods used by property owners that simply don't work. An example is carpenter ant spray. If you use carpenter ant spray to treat areas where you've seen carpenter ants, the ants will simply avoid those areas.
- If you apply a product and stop seeing carpenter ants, you might think the ants are gone. This can allow them to continue to damage your property. This is particularly bad if you have black carpenter ants in your home.
The best solution for carpenter ants is professional ant control. This is where we can help.
Professional Carpenter Ant Control Is Best
If you're having trouble with carpenter ants in Warren, let the carpenter ant control experts here at Maple Lane Pest Control guide you in selecting the right control solutions. At Maple Lane Pest Control, we work hard to provide advanced, cutting-edge pest control solutions for Warren residents and business owners. We have the answers you're looking for. Reach out to us today.